This episode is an interview… on interviews! Monica James--whom you may’ve heard previously on the podcast in the episode on Demonstrated Interest--absolutely crushes it in this interview, offering more practical advice than you’ll find in most weekend workshops on this topic. And it’s no wonder: for years she’s been teaching people (and in particular high school students) how to give great interviews. We cover, among other things:
- Why do colleges give interviews?
- Can a bad interview actually hurt your application chances?
- How do you prepare for the interview?
- What’s the one thing that colleges are looking for above all else?
- How do you answer the “Why this college” interview question?
- How do you answer the Strengths and Weaknesses interview Question?
- How do you answer the Tell Me About Your Reading Life or “What books have you read recently” question?
- What is the hardest interview question and how do you handle it?
- What if you get a “bad” interviewer?
- What if you’re asked a question in an interview that you truly don’t know the answer to?
- How much does body language matter in an interview?
- What should you wear to an interview?
- How do I handle a Skype or Phone Interview?
- How do I set up an interview?
- How should I practice?
- What about Scholarship Interviews—are they different?
Who is Monica James? [2:26]
How Monica first started coaching college interviewing? [3:35]
An anecdote about the power of storytelling [5:48] 4:07
Why colleges give interviews [4:38]
Can an interview hurt an applicant? [5:29]
Which schools require an interview? [6:23]
Why students should do suggested interviews [7:30]
How do students prepare for an interview? [9:55]
The formula for preparing an excellent interview question answer [11:26]
One thing colleges are looking for [16:50] 12:12
How less intellectual students show intellectual vitality [17:45] 13:05
How students prepare for the “Why Us” question [14:33]
How to prepare for the “what is your weakness” question [17:23]
How to answer the “what is your reading life like?” question [21:17]
The hardest interview question [23:53]
What if your interviewer isn’t that great? [27:47]
Monica James’ favorite questions [31:45]
What to do if you have no idea how to answer a question [34:48]
Advice on body language, what to wear, and handshakes [38:24]
What to do if your interviewer goes in for the hug [40:57]
What to know about eye contact and fidgeting [41:36]
How to prepare for a Skype or phone interview [44:04]
How to setup an interview [45:50]
Who to practice an interview with [47:31]
How to prepare for scholarship interviews [50:25]
How to be charming [52:27]
Develop questions to ask the interviewer [55:00]
Monica’s Show and Tell [57:57]
Ethan’s Show and Tell [59:23]
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Monica’s James earlier episode on Demonstrated Interest
- The Checklist of Strong Character Traits
- Monica’s List of Commonly Asked Interview Questions
- Values Exercise
- Ethan’s List of Commonly Asked Interview Questions & the College Essay Guy’s Complete Guide to the Interview, in which you’ll find a workbook where you can record all your answers from the Guide.
- Get in touch with Monica
- Hoopla App
- Hot Seat Game